The foliage and cool crisp air of Autumn can make anyone excited. Your pet probably welcomes a break from the hot weather as well. However, pet owners need to understand that Autumn is a time of unexpected dangers for their animal companions.
From cold-weather dangers to household poisons, there are important safety issues you need to consider as a pet owner. Some of these include:
The use of mouse and rat poison tends to increase in the Autumn months. This is because rodents usually seek shelter in homes to escape the cooler outdoor temperatures. The poisons homeowners use to get rid of rodents are very toxic to pets as well when ingested. If you need to use such substances, you need to do so with extreme caution. You should also store them in areas that your pet cannot access.
Autumn is mushroom season. Most species of mushrooms are not toxic. However, some of them are extremely toxic and can cause conditions that are life-threatening to animals. It is difficult to distinguish between non-toxic and toxic mushrooms. To prevent your pets from eating the toxic variety, keep them away from any area where mushrooms tend to grow.
Dog owners walk their canine friends year-round. However, during Autumn, sunset tends to come sooner than many people expect. Darkness may fall halfway through your leisurely walk with your dog. Thus, during the Fall, you should have some form of reflective gear on your dog if you walk them in high-traffic areas.
Most school supplies have low toxicity to pets. However, items such as magic markers, pencils, and glue sticks can cause gastrointestinal blockages if ingested. As kids are still adapting to their back to school routines, store your children’s school supplies out of your pet’s reach.
During Fall, many wildlife, such as snakes, prepare for hibernation. This increases the risk of bites to unfortunate pets who wander into the wrong places at the wrong time. As a pet owner, you need to educate yourself about the wildlife that may be lurking in your environment.
Ticks and fleas will not be a thing of the past once temperatures start to drop. You and your pet may pick them up on walks or camping trips. Pests can transmit Lyme disease and other nasty conditions.
Every year, thousands of pets in the United States suffer accidental poisonings due to ingesting automotive antifreeze. This is because of the sweet taste of ethylene glycol. Three teaspoons of this substance are enough to poison a medium-sized dog, and just two teaspoons of it will poison a cat.
Cold weather often leads to arthritis in pets due to inflamed joints. If your feline or canine friend is finding it difficult to sit, move, or jump, they might be suffering from a condition known as seasonal arthritis.
Autumn can bring about a wide range of pet allergies. Two of the biggest culprits are mold and ragweed. Others are dust and grass. Therefore, you should look for any signs of unusual coughing, sneezing, scratching, chewing, biting, hives, rashes, and watery eyes.
Decorations for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas can be hazardous to your pet. Thus, you should keep decorative plants, tinsel, ornaments, and other decorations out of your pet’s reach.
To learn more about Autumn pet hazards, call Airport Freeway Animal Emergency Hospital at our office in Euless, Texas at (817) 571-2088 with any questions or to schedule an appointment.