inside banner 1
inside banner 3
inside banner 4

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests Something Dangerous

At the Animal Emergency Hospital Airport Freeway, we are dedicated to helping pet parents achieve quick, high-quality veterinary medical solutions to their pets’ health crises. It is always possible for your pet to ingest something hazardous and knowing what to do can save their life! The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) recommends keeping the number for the Pet Poison Line accessible: 855.764.7661.  



Some animal experts say that pets eat fabric because of food intolerances or allergies. Others believe there is a behavioral issue behind fabric eating. But most pet parents believe that pets eat fabric because they enjoy it. Unlike edible chews, textiles cannot break down in your pet’s body.

In some cases, the fabric may pass through the digestive system of a large or medium-sized pet. Smaller pets may have difficulty passing fabric. Removing the fabric may require surgery. If you suspect that your pet has eaten a significant amount of fabric, bring them for an exam at the Animal Emergency Hospital Airport Freeway immediately.

Keeping your floors clear of all laundry can easily prevent this potentially dangerous situation. Also, if you notice that your pet is chewing on blankets or fabric toys, take them away and do not allow unsupervised access to these items.


Plastic and Other Materials

Sometimes, pets chew on LEGO, screws, or they may start chewing on furniture or stuffed toys. If you think your pet has chewed and swallowed something that is not edible, bring your pet to the veterinarian. A quick abdominal X-ray (or radiograph) will show where the object is in your pet’s digestive system. We may try to induce vomiting, but in some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the object.

Preventing this involves keeping your floors and other surfaces clear of objects that your pet can swallow.


Products With THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol)

If you have THC products, you must be extra careful about where you put or store them. THC is dangerous to pets, but they are attracted to the smell. Ingesting THC can cause urine leakage, disorientation, and seizures in severe cases. If your pet eats THC products, be honest with the veterinary staff about their exposure so they can make the best treatment plan for your pet.


Human Medications

Prescription and over-the-counter medications, as well as supplements, can result in dangerous health problems for your pet. If your pet ingests these substances, there could be bleeding, gastrointestinal ulcers or kidney failure. Extreme situations may also result in death. Bring your pet to us right away or call the Pet Poison Control Line.

Preventing the ingestion of these medications is the only way to keep your pet safe. Keep these medications in a locked container and place them in a high cabinet.


Grapes and Raisins

These tiny, flavorful morsels may seem good for your pet, but they are not. They can be toxic. Studies reveal that these foods could cause diarrhea, vomiting, and lethargy. Grapes and raisins can also cause tremors, seizures, and decreased urine production. The reactions of pets will vary based on their tolerance so it’s best to avoid them altogether.


Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic are part of the Allium family of foods. Allium foods are commonly used in human diets, but for our pets, they can cause severe health problems. These foods contain compounds that can damage red blood cells and lead to anemia, which can be life-threatening for our pets. Symptoms of Allium poisoning in pets include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and pale gums.

It's important to keep all forms of these foods away from our pets, whether they're fresh, cooked, or powdered. This means avoiding giving your pets any food that contains onions, garlic, chives, shallots, and leeks.



Theobromine in chocolate is toxic to pets. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. Small amounts can cause stomach pain. Larger amounts can be fatal. It is important to bring your pet to the veterinarian right away. The sooner an exposure or poisoning is addressed, the easier, less expensive, and safer it is to treat.

Please bring your pet to our facility in Euless, Texas, for immediate treatment. Call 817-571-2088 to ask about our pet emergency treatments.